You’ve just passed your test! Now what?
One of the best things about amateur radio is the “can do” attitude of so many of those who are involved. Every ham was a new ham once–and everyone can learn more. It just takes time and patience.
Below are some things that might be helpful.
- Get a radio–and ask for help if you don’t know what to buy
- Ask a ham to see his or her “shack” (their radio equipment)
- Listen or participate with other new hams in our “Now What?” net
- Attend our monthly “Now What?” group for new hams
- Look at this basic operating guide
- Start to learn Morse code
- Come 30 minutes early to one of our meetings to our “Elmer” table and learn from an experienced ham
- Ask questions on our regular VRC Tech Net
- Ask questions on the VRC reflector
- Get on the air–with our help and equipment–at our club’s “Get on the Air Station”
- Look things up on the Internet–we do too!
Amateur radio can be a springboard to an enormous variety of things to get involved in:
|Antenna Building||Kit Building||Radio Repair|
|Antenna Physics||Maintenance & Operation||Repeaters|
|Contesting||Mobile HF||RF design|
|Awards for Worked All States (WAS), DX Century Club (worked 100 entities–DXCC)||Morse Code||Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) Hunting|
|Basic science||Neighborhood Emergency Radio||Search and Rescue|
|Boy Scouts on the Air||Net Control||Sherriff Assistance|
|Communicate on different bands (1.25m, 2, 6, 10, 15, 17, 20, 30, 40, 60, 80, 160)||OR Defense Force||Short wave listening|
|Community Service||Pacific Seafarers Net||SSTV (Slow Scan TV)|
|Digital Communication||Participating in Nets||Stand Alone Repeater|
|Earth-Moon-Earth (moon bounce) communication||Physics of electronics||Study Radio Spectrum|
|Electronics||Physics of waves||Support running & bike races|
|Emergency Prep||Portable Communication||Technology|
|Family communications||Public Service||Volunteer Examiner (VE) Testing for new hams|
|Fox (or bunny) Hunting (direction finding)||QSL cards||Voice Communication|
|Homebrew Transmitters||Radio Astronomy||Volunteering in your club|
|Internet Radio Linking Project (IRLP)||Radio Control||Wireless Internet communication 802.11|
|Radio in RV|